120 Gallon Dutch something or another version 4.0

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
So, yanked the wood out today, the main 2 stumps. Anyone want to buy them? Well soaked, has holes ready to add moss, Riccia or Riccardia etc.

Did not make hardly much mess. I left most all the plants in place. Trying to ponder the planting scheme at the moment. Then I have 4 different piles of wood for 4 different scapes I sorted through today. A couple are similar to the older 2.0 version I had prior to this scape. A bit more compressed and taller. Not quite what I have in mind really though, want something different and that allows decent access to the groups, does not block much flow etc.

Ye old skewed graph has a certain appeal to my taste this time around. I will likely cover with Riccardia and remove all the Fissidens.

Just easier to deal with and folks seem to want it more. I think I'll weave a number of these shapes together this time around. Most of the other things block the display too much and the tank is very shallow relative to width. I will use more slope in the sediment for sure. I will likely remove the sediment entirely and add new ADA AS. Fish and shrimp will need removed for this one. I have 2 20 Gallons mature and running well outside in the garage for them. After the 120, I'll redo the 180. Same deal with the fish.

Reactions: 2 people

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Everyones gonna be looking forward to seeing this. Someone at the top of his game such as the Barr, I don't mean to overhype this, but its gonna be fantastic.

Lets see some different species while your at it Barr. :)

antbug

Guru Class Expert
Apr 4, 2011
redoing the 180? I thought that would only happen after the move.....Wait, did you move? I have a bunch of that low grow Stauro if you need some back. It's doing quite well in my tank.

Harry Muscle

Junior Poster
Mar 17, 2007
I might be interested in those stumps ... could you post a link to some pictures of them please?

Thanks,

Harry

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
But that scape is now in the past. This is what I'm working on now, Riccardia fingers sloping downward basically with the plant groups in between.

side_zpsgbaxjple.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Unlike prior scapes, there's no real defined central larger piece of wood, but with the slope, it'll have that effect once I've positioned the wood. Well, you will see soon enough.

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
A little hard for me to visualize, but it looks like it will be very catching with all the wood moving one direction like that. Are you planning to keep this as a high light dutch tank? Or will the ricca take over the whole scape and do more of an ADA style?

Whiskey

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Whiskey said:
A little hard for me to visualize, but it looks like it will be very catching with all the wood moving one direction like that. Are you planning to keep this as a high light dutch tank? Or will the ricca take over the whole scape and do more of an ADA style?

Whiskey

Yes, the wood will all flow one direction.

Yes, high light, generalized dutch streets, I will phase plants out and will retain mostly lower growing rare species of Erios, Tonina, Crypts, Downoi, UG likely will return, Red Pantanal unless I find a nice home for it in the 180. I will also grow some Starougyne(repens and porto velho) in here and it'll be removed from the 180.

The Riccardia/Mini pellia will be on the branches, but the dividers will go up and then curve downward instead of just laying flat so much, so they will be more elevated this time. The divides/finger will slowly be covered with the Riccardia.

The biggest headache is trying to make sure I remove 100% of the bladderwort from all the plants and Riccardia. I removed it from the 180, but removed all but maybe 5% of the Starou to do that.

I'm pondering the traditional style Dutch for the 180. It will need some modification due to the higher current that is required for good health though. It would be more a return to my old 90 Gallon from the 1990's. That or a fern/Buce Anubias mix.

nicpapa

Guru Class Expert
Mar 2, 2012
greece
Tom Barr said:
But that scape is now in the past. This is what I'm working on now, Riccardia fingers sloping downward basically with the plant groups in between.

side_zpsgbaxjple.jpg

lot of woods...

Less plants in aguarium . :(

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
nicpapa said:
lot of woods...

Less plants in aguarium . :(

Fear not, you will actually see very little wood, it only provides the structure, not the viewing. Which is also a bit of a departure from the past, but you can see how I've evolved that direction anyway.

ak24

Junior Poster
Dec 28, 2014
Poland
Nice roots! The composition is very simple, like You said without main big root or something in the center, but looking for Your tank from the past, this probably will be look great, a lot of valleys with colorful, contrast plants.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, the colors will contrast and there will be a more even approach to those divisions, but not an unnatural look, at least that is the goal ATM.

Chris Noto

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
You know, I'm sure excited to see what Tom comes up with next. I'd love to ask some informed question, but I think it would, for me, be more honest to just post this:

Bump! ;)