This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 50% more Dutch!

Discussion in 'Journals' started by burr740, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:05 AM

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    5:05 AM
    Nice, already have plenty though. Got any wisteria?

3. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Wisteria has been gone for almost a year.
    Couldn't keep it, would get so over grown.:D
    3 foot long gobs of the stuff in no time.

4. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    11:05 AM
    @burr740 your tank is already better than 95% of tanks out there and this is on track to clinching this year's trophy too. No pressure.

Thinking out aloud with my Bart hat:
    • The combination of Mini aromatica, Hygro 53B and Erio Vietnam is not working for the left corners. They all open up in a floral way. Google Asiatic lillies. Once you do that, you'll know what I mean. You have really good contrast in height and size between these three. I suspect you will nee something soft and wispy in place of the Vietnam. The Erio is the weak link here. BUT...since your plan is to put one species from the front all the way to the back, this issue is irrelevant. Yes, true Dutch artists might use Wisteria. You could go hipster and go with odora. Or I can supply you with balsamica.
    • As much as I love it, come contest time, you're gonna get spanked for the red-on-red proximity between Bacopa Colorata and Ludwigia Red.
    • The Clinopodium in front of the Ludwigia Red is brilliant. The red see-thru effect behind the stretched necks of the light green Clinopodium is novel and something I've never seen before. Keeping it like that will be the trick.
    • My inner Bart says the Kimberley is smack dab in the center. The stems are also too close together for such a commanding plant.
    • The Penthorum is the brightest thing in the tank and that is also in the center. Will probably self-correct if you are planning on making a street out of it.
    • You're probably on the right track with trying Nymphoides where the wallichii is. But it is a DAMN WEED. And it will get as big as a beach ball. Still, there is nothing else like it. Do it. You'll love the look, but hate the work. Ottelia is a beast and best left and appreciated in pictures.
    • Wallichii behind Red Tiger Crypt isn't the best contrast.
    • I think you have too many plants with leaves like Acmell and Bacopa. So combining the Acmella and Ambulia bushes is a good thing. Is that Limno sessiliflora? I think you'd be better off with Limno indica as it's softer and less leggy/necky.
    • Still need a big-leaf plant (Taiwan lilly might do it). Still need something soft fuzzy thing like Eleocharis in the front or middle.
    • Hope the Syng Giants do well for you. Give them a couple of weeks to acclimate. Usually, when they get that bent neck look, it's nutritional unhappiness. Used to get that all the time in the old Dutch. Now that it's a farm tank and I've cranked up the traces and macros, it's completely turned around. But our dosing is somewhat parallel, at least, when it comes to traces.

Jason King, rzn7z7 and burr740 like this.
  5. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:05 AM
    Agreed. The thing is, once you figure out how to grow plants, now you have to take care of them. And that trimming/pruning/replanting is required to keep many species in their best shape. Takes time, but worth the effort.

Jason King and burr740 like this.
  6. SingAlongWithTsing

SingAlongWithTsing Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:05 AM
    calling dibs on the Penthorum been looking for some submersed stems for almost 2 years now LOL

7. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Thanks man, that is some very good input! A lot of what you mentioned is some of that contrast fail I was talking about earlier.

Open in a floral way, Ive never really considered that but see exactly what you mean. Very enlightening

Its funny you mentioned the longer Clinopodium being a good look, as if done on purpose. Because I was thinking damn I cut those back stems too tall, need to fix that asap! lol

And yeah Im still working to correct things being dead center. but you know...something has to go in the center? I tried to skew the kimberly just left, and the street just to the right, or at least trailing to the right. But in pictures both might as well start dead center. One of those things that need to be exaggerated to see the effect I suppose, like space between plants and height contrasts.

Thats supposed to be Limno indica but I really dont know. But I will say those tallest stems are leggy because 3 days ago they were mere side shots shaded by larger fat ones. I just keep cutting them off when they reach the outflow current and cramming them down in the group, literally have to do that twice a week. pretty soon there should be a ton of stems there so I might doing the whole area for a round or two. Starting fat stems out 6-8 inches tall might be the way to go

Ive also got some baby Pogo erectus that might fit the bill. Its never been 100% reliable though, a few always like to stunt for some reason. These are all brand new so it might be different this time.

Two years?????? Its been in 3 out of 4 of my sale threads for about that long! :)

Im ready when you are, jlmk

Jason King, Phishless and Greggz like this.
  8. SingAlongWithTsing

Local Time:
    Every time I see your threads you've already sold out xD

Greggz likes this.
  9. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Dutch rules go right over my head. I am still beginning in this hobby, so I can’t quite appreciate all the little things that go into one of those tanks. If I squint my eyes, and move back from my screen, your paint mock up looks really good actually!

Sometimes the rules make things worse, I also really like the red on red/orange plant group. The two colours create a nice blend.

SingAlongWithTsing and Phishless like this.
  10. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I agree, those two colors make a dynamic combo. Unless I drastically rearrange everything they're gonna stay where they're at and I'll just have to get spanked if it comes down to it. :)

Kyalgae likes this.
  11. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Small update, not much to report

Trimmed the two side walls. They grow a lot faster than the back. This is what I trimmed off ONE side

39188505730_443715ca0f_b.jpg

40997763651_133a5047f9_h.jpg

26116923317_5bb8a50e91_b.jpg

Hungry fishes

27126955538_21a1552684_h.jpg

Need to clean up those roots around the base of the crypt. It's already sprouted a couple babies.

Bare log soaking in the background, gonna make a longer run of Fissidens going front to back ascending somehow

40997736611_5422a098e9_h.jpg

Rotala sunset is growing nice. This is all from those 4 original stems. So far havent touched them. Its about time to cut them all apart and make a proper group. That'll be the real test whether its happy or not

Can see some brown undergrowth where the moss was trimmed. That'll green back up in a week or two.

27126938528_834a141e02_h.jpg

Rotala macranda variegated doing well in the 50

26103738897_f9430c8f07_h.jpg

Some of those in the back are coming off tall stumps where I had to pinch a few bad tops off

27104339898_432f869ace_h.jpg

Oto chillin

27039983588_9effbc315a_h.jpg

12. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Current dosing (before @fablau asks :) )

Macros are 6 ppm KNO3, .5 ppm KH2PO4, and 2 ppm K2SO4. Doing a 3x dose after water change, then two more single doses through the week.

Micros are daily .15 Fe from the latest custom blend

Weekly totals:

NO3 - 30 ppm (18 ppm after water change)
    P - 2.5 ppm (1.5 after water change)
    K - 36 ppm (24.5 after water change)
    Fe - 1.05 ppm

Ca - 35 ppm
    Mg - 10 ppm

SO4 - about 22 ppm (7 from tap +15 from ferts)

13. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    11:05 PM
    Do you dose that Ca and Mg or is that just from tap?

I have a GH of 4 from tap, Find it hard to maintain regular GH week to week.

14. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Tap has 35 ppm Ca and about 4.5 Mg. Im sure it changes a little based on seasons or rainfall or whatever, but the three times Ive had it tested it's been right in line with what the water report says.

Then I add another 6 ppm Mg via epsom salt after water changes

SingAlongWithTsing and Bishop like this.
  15. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    11:05 PM
  16. SingAlongWithTsing

Local Time:
    hey burr is there any reason you're not dosing 3x micros on water change like you do with your macros? something i've been wondering about ever since i've read about front loading macros from vin's thread.

dude how often do you get big piles like that ?

17. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    There's a couple hypothetical reasons for not doing that;

- Most of the micros and Fe doesnt stick around indefinitely like macros do. When you add NO3 or K it's gonna be there in an available state until the plants use it up or until the next water change. Whereas micros can precipitate out of solution, become unavailable, or less available due to PH, bind with something else, and whatever other possibilities that I dont even remotely understand. So its best to dose micros more frequently to have a steady supply

- The Rotala expert Vin spoke with in Singapore mentioned NO3 specifically as what needed to be stable as far as Lythracae goes. So there's that fwiw

The sides need it every two months. The back can go three or four months because it doesnt get as much light. That pic was from one side, I had two piles just like it.

There's no way I could deal if the panels werent easily removable, it'd be a nightmare having to trim in-tank, I cant even imagine.

The way it is now is pretty simple. I can do both sides and have them popped back in before the water drains on WC day

Bishop and SingAlongWithTsing like this.
  18. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Finally trimmed the Rotala sunset. Got 35 and change off those 4 original plants.

Now lets see if they live. This plant has gone through periods where its absolutely bulletproof and periods of dying if you look at it wrong.

Im hopeful. They were good all the way to the ground. No dropped leaves, stems were very strong and even the very bottom leaves were firmly attached.

We're about to find out so grab some popcorn!

40484651924_fc9cf41a00_h.jpg

39388413440_805cc799da_h.jpg

26325405927_0baf224433_h.jpg

40302766555_78fa2f921b_h.jpg

26325389667_5bf7a55b2d_h.jpg

19. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Simply beautiful. Whenever you have enough to give away, let me know!

20. SingAlongWithTsing

Local Time:
    let me know also if you ever have some of that Rotala Sunset for sale and Hygrophila Serpyllum too xD