This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

12 long redo, nature style royal blue tiger tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Forumsnow, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    4:00 AM
    Just redid my 12 long last night thought i would share. Got the amazing manzanita from Tom yesterday, its great living so close. There is also maybe 10-15lbs of seiryu in there to help keep parameters up. Used AS Amazonia to help balance out the seiryu. Used a liter of Seachem Matrix and some slate to hep build up the hills.

For plants i am dsming hc, monte carlo, some crypts, some downio, and will add some dhg belem and needle leaf java fern i got from Tom yesterday.

Will do a journal at some point here. Going to do dsm for atleast a month then let it sit a month or so once flooded. Some pics
    [​IMG]
    Left side
    [​IMG]
    Right side
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy!

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Crap, you did that with them little twigs you got? Damn good job. I'd like you to take a look at George Farmer's stuff on the web, I think this tank and style would lend very well to his style of planting.

You'd need some belem grass in there, but....there's quite a bit floating around these days:)
    Add plenty more plants for now.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Crap, you did that with them little twigs you got? Damn good job. I'd like you to take a look at George Farmer's stuff on the web, I think this tank and style would lend very well to his style of planting.

You'd need some belem grass in there, but....there's quite a bit floating around these days:)
    Add plenty more plants for now.

4. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom means alot coming from you, could not have done it with out your "twigs". I actually used that Farmer video you posted a while ago and some of his other tanks for inspiration. Used his techniques for building up the slopes on both sides.
    There was a few sprigs of i believe some kind of hairgrass on the crypt you gave me. Plucked out as much as i could and am growing it in the dsm. I will be on the look out for some more though. I am thinking hc for the middle and foreground and bottom of slopes transitioning to hairgrass further up. A few pieces of monte carlo snuck in with the blyxa you gave me so im going to try to use that also.
    I plan on doing dsm for at least the next month so it will be plenty planted by the time i flood. Thanks again for all the plants and wood and it was great to meet you!

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Okay, you are right on track then.
    Carry on:)

If you want to moss with the DSM, you can, use old tank water from a planted tank using EI or similar.
    Mist daily etc.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Okay, you are right on track then.
    Carry on:)

If you want to moss with the DSM, you can, use old tank water from a planted tank using EI or similar.
    Mist daily etc.

7. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    Haha thanks, I did dsm on this tank previously so i have a pretty good handle on it. I do not have a tank i have been ei dosing anymore though. I have been using water from my shrimp tank(about 60 shrimp in a 10 gallon so there is a fair amount of waste) will that be enough? I have dry ferts should i add some to the spray bottle? I was hoping between the shrimp waste and the new aqua soil there would be enough ferts.
    This tank will be a shrimp farm first planted tank second. So low light, no co2, very little ferts. I was very successful the last go round but you said it was because there was not many plant species. Going to try to keep it fairly simple like that again.
    Did that crypt come from a tank with hairgrass? If so what kind of hairgrass and what kind of crypt is that? Thanks again.

8. ua hua

ua hua Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Very nice job on the hardscape. You have created some nice depth and can't wait to see it grow in.

I have wanted to get one of those 12 gal. long tanks but I just don't have the time to take care of another tank at the moment but that doesn't mean I can't buy one and put away until the day comes when I do have the time.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Go moss, mini pellia etc, Starougyne works well also
    Be nice to use HC etc, but......well, you can try it and watch is die slowly.

Crypt is C tropica
    Grass is belem, you might work with the belem grass and moss.

That will give you the best chance.
    Excel or CO2 to start, you are not putting any shrimp in this tank for 2-3 months if the ADA As is new.

Once grown in, back off.

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Go moss, mini pellia etc, Starougyne works well also
    Be nice to use HC etc, but......well, you can try it and watch is die slowly.

Crypt is C tropica
    Grass is belem, you might work with the belem grass and moss.

That will give you the best chance.
    Excel or CO2 to start, you are not putting any shrimp in this tank for 2-3 months if the ADA As is new.

Once grown in, back off.

11. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    [​IMG]
    That was the tank 2 months ago before i tore it down. Ran low light, no co2 no fert from January till August, was trimming the hc weekly it was growing so good. Can not see why i couldn't do that again. Just i have to be patient on the dsm, think i let it grow for almost 2 months last time. I have found it a whole lot easier to gind the sweet spot using my dimmable led, just keep reducing intensity until growth is good and algae is low. We will see what happens though.
    Thanks Tom, i am well aware of the ammonia leaching from AS. The shrimp are in a 10 gallon for now, have had like 90% baby survival so i would say they are happy in there.
    You dont think staurogyne would be to big for this tank? I am scared that anything with even a medium sized leaf will throw them perspective way off.it really is a small tank lol.

12. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    The HC seems fine, likely due to our nice Tap here in Sac.

Once the HC roots well, it's pretty tough, but till it get there.........so the DSM works well for that.
    If you have ever grown HC really well with CO2, there's a pretty big difference.
    But for shrimp breeding, best to go no CO2.

Starou can be used, but not as the main plant, more an accent like plant by the rocks,m under the wood, the darker spots, it's like a Crypt almost.

13. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    The HC seems fine, likely due to our nice Tap here in Sac.

Once the HC roots well, it's pretty tough, but till it get there.........so the DSM works well for that.
    If you have ever grown HC really well with CO2, there's a pretty big difference.
    But for shrimp breeding, best to go no CO2.

Starou can be used, but not as the main plant, more an accent like plant by the rocks,m under the wood, the darker spots, it's like a Crypt almost.

14. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    That was actually back in CT haha, where the tap was terrible, but i use 100% rodi. Tap is really good in Citrus Heights, tds 30, but i will still use rodi. Simply for consistency and a small insurance thousands of $$$ in shrimp. So parameters were ph 7.4 kh3 gh6 tds 210 temp a constant 68.5f. Hoping i have a good balance of seiryu to Aqua Soil to get as close to that as possible. Shrimp absolutely flourished in those conditions. I ran the leds with a 90 minute ramp up/ down with 9 hours at 28% i think. It worked really really well, i think the low temp really helped, there was very little algae to speak of.

I ordered a good amount of organic grown glosso and hc. It should be here monday, will be nice to kinda speed things along. Hopefully getting a gallon bag worth of pellia, this will be for alot of the wood. Still looking for some more dhg belem, if you are trimming any Tom i would love to buy it from you. Think with buying all these plants i should be able to flood with in 2 months.

Just contemplating whether i need to run co2 when i first flood. I have a dual stage reg, solenoid and needle valve kicking around. Would just need to plumb it all together and get a co2 tank. I will not be running co2 once shrimp are in so i am unsure if it will be worth it, thinking it may help to transition to submersed growth. We will see.

15. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    I added a bunch of hc and glosso, really speed things up. Think it will look great once o add the needle leaf java to the base of the trees and mini pellia to the branches.
    [​IMG]

16. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    10/26 update:
    [​IMG]
    Glosso is continuing to grow at a astonishing rate! I am trimming runners daily to keep it from growing into unwanted areas, really is a amazing plant. Real happy with the choice, i think it will make a nice transition from the hc to the needle leaf java.
    Hc really isnt doing much besides growing HUGE roots. I think it may be getting to wet from trying to keep the hills moist. We will see what happens in the next week, getting kind of impatient. Really want to get the royals in here as the tank they are in now has way to many shrimp in it and i think it is stunting breeding. Thinking i may flood next weekend as everything is well rooted.

17. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Time to flood the tank, trim the gloss back before you do this though.

18. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    I was going to do it today but spent the day running around getting supplies and setting up my 12"cube. Can i mow the glosso like the hc?

19. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    After 2 weekends of gathering wood, foam, tubing and various other parts I have finally flooded the tank. I was going to use 5/8" acrylic for the spraybar and intake. Unfortunately the 5/8 acrylic is much much harder to work with than the 1/2". I ended up not being able to get the right bend for the spraybar and snapped the intake. So i used the stock Rena intake and a LocLine spraybar.
    [​IMG]
    The Amazonia has things pretty cloudy. Besides that plants looked good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Emersed downio turned purple and looks really really cool. Wish i had a co2 tank kicking around because i have a full reg set up. Would feel alot better about the transition if i could blast co2 but will try without.
    [​IMG]

20. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    Amazing tank!!!

I'm very curious to see how the plants do, I too have a low light planted shrimp tank with no CO2 and your making me think I can do much more with it :)

Do you use excel at all? Do you happen to know your PAR levels for this tank or the one it replaced?

Great work!
    Whiskey