12.5 micromol Fe2 to ppm?

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Thank you for replying Tom,

Why should I add DTPA Fe to CSM+B as CSM+B is already very concentrated with iron compared to TPN?
Also, TPN contains HEEDTA and DTPA. What chelator does CSM+B contain by default?
Finally, you mean by 1/4: 10g DTPA mixed with 40g CSM+B?

Many thanks for helping me understand all this better. I'd spend a bit more on TPN if final results are better and as I'm used to it. Just have some CSM+B laying around and would be sad not to use it

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
CSM has only ETDA, works fine for softer water, but DTPA will last in higher KH's or for long time frames than ETDA, so you get easier short term uptake and longer but slower uptake from a mix of 2 chelators for Fe.
This way you get around the trade offs of each type of chelator, if you wanted to add HEEDTA, I suppose you could do that also, not much point since you have EDTA anyway in CMS.........

The added Fe from the DTPA will help a little when added to CMS+B, whether it has some real effect is another matter, but it's fairly cheap and will not hurt.
It will certainly help when the Kh is higher however.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Many thanks, now it is clear for me

About dosing, 10g DTPA-fe + 40g CSM+B look a good mix?

And, do I need a special brand of DTPA-Fe for aquarium use, to avoid contamninants?

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Hi,

Even though I'm leaning toward generic ferts. But I would admit that when I tried
putting Fe or micros of brands that no one had ever reported about into my tank for the first time, I was quite scared.
But it turned out great (4-5 months now). And I will stick with the brands (of Fe and micros, because macros are more
standardized–less worry).

For you who are in Europe, fortunately there are some brands available with good reports
in aquarium use. Ciba Geigy's Sequestrene 330 (10% Fe-DTPA) is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Ok,

Many thanks for all those info
I'll stick to TPN for my nano (still have 1500ml, with 4.5ml/week, it'll last me 333 weeks, that's some years :)

I'll move to CSM+B for my main tank though