11gal Low tech+excel: I'm confused

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

Please help me starting without trouble my first nano

I'm about starting a nano 11 gal tank (17.7x11.8x12.5 in) that is a 43L (45x30x32cm). I tried to post on other forums, and now getting completely confused with it.

I plan on a kind of low tech (yet CO2 for stability) non maintenance shrimp only tank to start with. I could afford 50-80% WC every 1-2 months though.

I bought flourite back sand
I made the math and invested in 2x500ml excel to not go with CO2 (I can dose with auto-pumps if needed excel 3x/week).

I asked about lights and got 2 Arcpods, 11W PC fluorescent each (so 22W of PC fluorescent potential). So, 2 independant W shaped reflectors.

My questions are:
- Am I too much light for a low tech?
- Shrimps only = not feeding much: should I dose?
- And my biggest concern now: excel. Will it be a good replacement for CO2 and will its "glutaraldheyde" build up if no WC are done for so long.

Many thanks for your help

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I will take a try at answering:
Those two lights are not likely to be too much for a low light tank.
Since the shrimp are a nearly zero bio load, requiring almost no feeding, you will need to dose NPK and traces lightly, to grow plants well.
If you stick with the Seachem recommended dosage of Excel, it will not build up a concentration that is a problem. It degrades pretty quickly in the tank anyway. It is a good source of carbon in a low light tank.

Why are you only able to handle water changes every one to two months? You would be changing only 5 gallons of water at a time, surely not a big job. But, if you only dose fertilizers very lightly, with low light, you don't really need to do water changes except when you need to do so for some obvious reason. You will need to add water to make up for evaporation, based on my experience with a 10 gallon tank, about a half gallon a week.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Many thanks VaughnH, you're kind to help me so quickely,

I was really concerned about those 22W being too much.

I want no WC tank because I really don't like to go in much maintenance for now. My main tank is for now enough maintenance with EI/WC/trimming... That's why I'm going the root of shrimps only.

Now, I have a few more questions:
- Excel, for my setup, should be dosed every day, every otherday or just like EI: every 1-2 weeks depending on my plants growth? Is it stable in water or will degaz too much quickely for a one week dosing routine?
- Could I hope to grow a spot of a small stem plant or maybe carpet some plants like HC with my current CO2/light and plans for low maintenance?

Many thanks again for your help

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
When in doubt it is a good idea to follow the manufacturers directions. And, that is to dose Excel every other day, one ml per 10 gallons of water. I am pretty sure Seachem has stated that Excel is all gone in the water in less than a day, so I have always dosed it daily, but at the one ml per 10 gallon rate, unless I am trying to kill algae.

You definitely will be able to grow marsilea minuta as a ground cover, and probably can grow HC, if you can get it started well. If you start the tank with the dry start method, the HC will have the best chance of doing well.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Ok, many thanks for your help

I'm ready to launch this nano in 2-4 weeks, Already got most of the equippement. Only the tank and decorations is missing

I'll let you know

Thank you again