This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

10 Litre Nano Hitech With Utricularia Graminifolia

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Bumblefish, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Bumblefish

Bumblefish New Member

Local Time:
    6:03 PM
    Hehe, maybe in a few weeks I'll throw that monkeywrench in the works! For now I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the cleanliness! :)

The tank is doing quite well. I still have some pale and lanky UG in tangled masses. I've been chopping them up and replanting them. Its been tough to get larger bunches anchored at the front of the tank. ADA powder is only about 3cm deep at the very front. Smaller bunches are holding much better.

I had similar problems with ADA powder type in another tank. 7cm deep and was finding it nearly impossible to get Nesaea crassicaulis cuttings to stay put. They're super buoyant. I tried planting at an angle, leaving lower leaves on and, in the end, I had to jam them up against other, established stems. Anyone have any tips regarding this? I'd much appreciate!

2. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:03 AM

I’ve never grown it myself, but maybe @burr740 might know, he has far more experience with different plants, the selection of plants here in Canada can be a bit on the slim side. I was reading about it and apparently it’s actually a carnivorous plant, and I did read it was difficult to maintain in a carpeting form. I don’t know if you ever saw the ‘mini’ version of dwarf hairgrass, but it makes a nice carpet too, and it’s much shorter than regular hairgrass.

3. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:03 AM
    Never tried UG or had a tank with Aquasoil, Im fresh out of ideas what to say. :)

4. Bumblefish

Bumblefish New Member

Local Time:
    6:03 PM
    It's my first successful attempt growing it.
    My observations so far regarding UG with aquasoil powder...
    1. Plant it as deeply as possible in very small bunches i.e. 1cm diameter.
    2. Trim it often (once acclimatised) to promote better/denser growth.
    3. Avoid shrimp and snail presence during acclimatisation.

I tried growing it in other established tanks, both planted and floating, and it was a shrimp and snail magnet. Maybe when it's acclimatising it leaches some attractant. Within days, a whole pots-worth of Tropica 1,2-grow tissue culture, floating, (a very dense clump) would be reduced to shreds by shrimps and snails. Also, Amano shrimp and, to a lesser extent, Neocardinia uproot newly planted UG. However, in this new tank, now that the UG is more established (in the absence of 'pests'), ramshorn snails don't bother it at all which is why I suspect that it leaches something during acclimatisation. Maybe one of the gurus can shed some light on this issue. I am very interested to know what happens physiologically to a plant when acclimatising to new environmental conditions.
    It could simply be that it's the tissue culture solution itself which attracts 'pests' because it doesn't wash off adequately prior to planting and the specific one Tropica use for UG is particularly attractive. Anyone know?

#24 Bumblefish, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 12:50 AM