10 gallon planted aquascape

mstasa

Junior Poster
Aug 9, 2009
hi. i am doing my first aquascape. i am growing dwarf hairgrass and micro swords, using the dry start method. these plants are under 36w of 50/50 lighting. I was wondering when i do fill the tank up eventually, how much flourish excell should i use everyday, or week. bc i do not want to use a CO2 injector. i will have pictures up soon, but i cannot firgure out how to post them, when it tells me to type the url in.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Start With Label Dosing

mstasa;39938 said:
hi. i am doing my first aquascape. i am growing dwarf hairgrass and micro swords, using the dry start method. these plants are under 36w of 50/50 lighting. I was wondering when i do fill the tank up eventually, how much flourish excell should i use everyday, or week. bc i do not want to use a CO2 injector. i will have pictures up soon, but i cannot firgure out how to post them, when it tells me to type the url in.

I don't really have a lot of experience with non-CO2 using Excel. :(

That said, my advice:

I would start with the label dosing, five ml after water change, or in this case water addition. Then one ml each day. Then start increasing the amount, the Excel will never be as effective as CO2.

My guess is that you will end up dosing quite high, that is a lot of light. Make sure your dosing regimen stays up with the light.;)

Biollante

mstasa

Junior Poster
Aug 9, 2009
Yah ok thanks. When i begin to start the tank, i was thinking of raising the light up a bit to decrease the intensity.

evanluke

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2009
With 36 watts of light, I would be prepared to double dose the excel to keep the algae away. The Seachem dosing recommendations are pretty conservative. At the store I work at we run lots of small displays using excel. On some of the medium light setups (18 watts of 67K CF lighting over a 6 gallon cube) we are dosing 4 mls of Excel everyday. Any less and we get black brush algae. If you do not keep shrimp or excel sensitive plants, you can up to triple the daily dose without any negative consequences.