10 Gallon Aquarium (EI/Walstad/WhateverWorks)

10 Gallon Aquarium (EI/Walstad/WhateverWorks)

• Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fair

• Good

• Very Nice

• Excellent

• Total voters

senyukage

Junior Poster
Jul 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some pics of my new 10 gallon tank. I have this in the corner of my office. I used to keep fish but haven't been doing that for 10 years. Recently I decided to start again. I started the tank 3 months ago.

I started it using the Walstad Method. The plants did well for 2 weeks, then unexplained deaths of some plants occurred. I was going to chalk it up to allelopathy. But since I had nothing to lose I decided to buy a bottle of Seachem Flourish to see how the plants would do. The situation improved, so I did more research a found info about PMDD. I thought it sounded interesting. Over the next 3 weeks I went to Home Depot, Lowes, and greenhouses all over the city looking for the ingredients. Was nervous at first about adding things like stump remover, murate of potash, gypsum, etc. since there was a lot of negative talk about it on the web and from some fellow hobbyists. I didn't have anything to lose so decided to just give it a shot and started with very small amounts.

I kept it up over the next few weeks and kept doing more research. Then came across the info on EI. It was very nice to find people who have had similar experiences as me. And also for me to learn from the experience of people who use this method. I'm using a lot of the info I'm finding here with great success. I don't have a CO2 enriched tank so I'm using smaller doses than that Greg Watson recommends in the EI for less techy folks post. But the info I found here about EI showed me that I could add much more than the amounts I was using. So I increased my dosing 3-fold and waited to see what would happen.

Now I'm just pretty much dosing if plant growth slows to a rate I don't like. Since I started the tank I have done only 1 water change. I'm looking forward to keeping a low maintenance tank with more plants I know what to do with for many years to come. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Thar Be Monsters, Not Allelopathy

Hi,

It is/was not allelopathy, plenty of excellent information on this site. :gw

Simply, your plants starved to death… Most plants do well for a couple of weeks on reserves.

The tank looks nice, but (you knew a but was coming :)), you have monsters in that tank, it is not sustainable.

Biollante

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Looks quite highlight to me. :)

I'll vote for non CO2 method if it is there and you have lowish light or EI if it highish light.

AC

senyukage

Junior Poster
Jul 20, 2010
Yeah, so far I'm having to prune a lot. I cut back on light duration and fertilization and it seems to slow down the growth. The tank currently has just plants that you can commonly find at Petco and Petsmart.

Currently the tank consists of these monsters. :)

Cabomba caroliniana, Cabomba
Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala
Ludwigia repens, Red Ludwig
Myriophyllum pinnatum, Frill Plant (Myrio)
Echinodorus x barthii, Red Melon Sword
Echinodorus martii, Ruffled Sword
Cryptocoryne wendtii, This one is the only one that is not as fast growing!

I'm getting involved with a local aquarium group though so I may be able to obtain some other plants soon. I may be able to get a variety of slower growing plants soon. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
100 Gallon Tank, Perhaps

Hi,

It was Echinodorus x barthii, Red Melon Sword on the right that attracted my attention, I was not sure if the one on the left was Echinodorus martii, Ruffled Sword, though I was sure it also was a monster. :eek:

Echinodorus spp. tends to be aggressive, suck up the nutrients and take over the substrate. While Echinodorus x barthii, Red Melon Sword is bad enough and needs much more room. :gw

Generally, Echinodorus martii, Ruffled Sword is too large for 55-gallon tanks. There root system will easily seize the substrate of 80 and 100-gallon (300-380 liter) tanks. They really need to be kept in large pots. The upside is they are true bog plants and if you can provide an area of high humidity, keep their feet wet and perhaps flood them now and again they are stunning flowering plants. :cool:

I am not sure you can provide enough nutrients to sustain those monsters anyway, so they will likely die before they cause too much damage. :(

Biollante