This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

10 gal soft water tank GH, KH and fertilization question

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Ligyron, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Ligyron

Ligyron New Member

Local Time:
    6:14 AM
    The water here is very hard out of the tap 9+.

I need to set up a soft water tank with a KH <4, and GH 3-8. Starting with RO water, does anyone want to hazard a guess at how much Baking soda and Epsom salts one would add to achieve these ratios? I thought I had a API GH and KH test kit on order but apparently did not. It won't get here to early next week and I have plants that need to go in water asap.

​I also have AquariumFertilizer's Dolomite: Calcium Carbonate with Magnesium available for Alk adjustment (along with their KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, Nutritrace CSM + B and Iron Chelate 13% with EDTA). I have adjustable 6500K LED lighting over it but only have an acid and baking soda rig and Flourish Excell for CO2 until I get my regulator re-built so that, unfortunately is likely to be my limiting factor.

I wonder if I can start out w non-limiting nutrients ala EI or if it would be best to scale that back a bit and if so, how much?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

bobby

2. Ligyron

Ligyron New Member

Local Time:
    Well, searching the interwebs I found a German guy's calculator that indicated adding 1.5 grams (about 1/4 tsp?) of baking soda to 38 liters or 10 gal of RO water would kick KH to about 3. There is some discussion as to exactly how much 1.5 grams of BS translates into tsps, being anywhere from 1/4 tsp to as much as 1 tsp.

Not having a scale, I'll probably split the difference and use 1/2 tsp. I dare not under buffer at these low levels as I am adding CO2 as per last post. I have no animals yet, still...

Couldn't find a calculator for GH , at least not yet, but looking around it seems as per discussions w Walstead and others that 1 tsp of Epsom per 10 gal will raise RO water by 4 degrees, so adding 1.5 tsp should give me a GH of 6.

Still uncertain about adding non limiting macros as per EI. Feel free to jump in here anyone?

3. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    From one of the notes I have collected thru web, One(1) teaspoon baking soda will increase the kH of 50 liters of water (13 gallons) by 4 degrees (68 ppm).

You can do the rest of the math.

Even better: found the notes for measurements

NaHCO3 Sodium bicarbonate, banking soda

1 tbs = 14.40g

1 tsp = 4.80g

1/4 tsp = 1.2g

1/8 tsp = 0.6g

1/16 tsp = 0.3g

1/32 tsp = 0.15g

1/64 tsp = 0.075g

These were taken from http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilator.php

#3 rajkm, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
  4. Ligyron

Ligyron New Member

Local Time:
    Hey Thanks friend, I'm new here and didn't know a fertilator even existed.

That'll probably prove to be real useful too.

Thanks again for your reply!

Gratefully,

bobby