This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

10,000K temporary swap

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by alexbn024, May 13, 2012.

1. alexbn024

alexbn024 Prolific Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:03 AM
    Hello all,

One of my two 6700K Coralife T5HO bulbs died today, just after a bit more then 1 month of operation... Being on the island makes it difficult to get bulbs replacement same day (I was only able to find some "GLO" brand that I have no information about) so I am facing about three days of waiting time. So, while waiting, my options would be either keep the remaining single bulb or add 10,000K bulb that I have laying without any use(it came with my fixture, along with actinic bulb). Would it be safe to use 10,000K for few days? Can anybody comment on reliability of Giesemann bulbs?

Thanks in advance

Alex

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks Funny

Hi Alex,

Your tank will look a little different, but will suffer no harm from the 10,000k bulb.
    :)

Biollante

3. alexbn024

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Biollante,

Thank you for your comment on this thread ;) It is true, it now looks more white-ish, kind of unusual ;) I read few posts on planted tank that apparently 10,000K can be successfully used in growing plants (attempting to save $30 on bulb +shipping ;) ). Not sure how reliable that information is, what do you think (I hope no alga will start to use blue-ish spectrum of 10,000K bulb)?

Alex

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A Whiter Shade of Pale

Hi Alex,

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with using 10,000k bulbs.
    :)

In fact, as I understand it the 10,000k bulbs deliver more energy to the substrate.

[video=youtube;Mb3iPP-tHdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA[/video]

Biollante

5. alexbn024

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Biollante!

Will go with 6700K/10,000K combination, hopefully they will last a bit longer.

Alex

P.S. Nice clip!