This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

10,000K or 6700K or does it matter?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by srozell, Jan 13, 2006.

1. srozell

srozell Guru Class Expert

Do plants REALLY care whether or not they are being lit by a 10,000k or a 6,700k bulb?

I tried asking my plants, but my wife threatened to call the men in white jackets again if I didn't stop. :D

2. defdac

defdac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Re: 10,000K or 6700K or does it matter?

No, the PAR can be the same (equal amount of photosynthetic active radiation). The PUR-efficiency (photosynthetic usable radiation) tends to be higher for 10K bulbs though, which doesn't really matter that much because you can always add another bulb/reflector if you don't mind the electricity bill.

This article I think explains very good what to look for in a bulb:
    http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm
    My own extended PUR-efficiency list:
    http://www.defblog.se/permalink/1402.html

3. srozell

I suffered a couple of debilitating concussions this year that make it next to impossible to understand technical documents.

Those links look very informative, but I currently lack the ability to comprehend them.

Could someone simplify it for me a bit?

4. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

The difference between 6700k and 10000k is more important to you than to your plants.

The plants like both just fine. The better color temperature is the one your eyes like best.

5. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

What he said.......... :) K is only important to YOUR eyes.

6. srozell

Thank you!

7. Hilde

Hilde Junior Poster

So what bulb did you get and do you have a picture of the tank?

8. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

As Richard stated. Pick the color rendering you like best. 6700 K is blueish, 10000 K much bluer and typically a more reefy type application. Halogens and others tend to be more yellow in the 3-4000 K range. This only applies to bulbs that actually give a K value. Some like the AquaFlora types aren't really any kind of K value and just give a tonal value, i.e. "pink" and have spikes of color bands in them. I doubt the plants care all that much since we likely give them more overall light than they consistently get throughout the year in the wild. Clouds/trees/turbidity and all that.

-
    S