This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

1" Mazzei?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Jim Miller, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:06 AM
    So far I've only seen these offered at $80 on ebay. Seems pretty steep for a piece of plastic. Any more reasonable alternatives?

Thanks

Jim

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks!

Jim

4. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  5. billb

billb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Here is a link to an online store that has a large selection of Mazzei's and good prices. http://www.bigbrandwater.com/mazzei15.html. A one inch injector needs a lot of flow. I had a 978 one inch Mazzei on a 1200 gph pump to aerate a pond. The pump was noisy so I took a Blue line T3 (about 800 gph) and used a 784 Mazzei - 3/4 inch. This combo producers more air than the 978! I probably needed a bigger pump to really drive the 978.
    I have a 584 for CO2 distribution on my 90 gallon. This is on a separate loop of my filtration system driven by a Reeflo Snapper 18. This has more than enough suction to mist CO2

6. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think I need to rethink the 1" Mazzei. I'll tap off the filter output somewhere add CO2 somehow and add back into the tank return. With only a couple of bubbles per second I shouldn't need a huge flow. I think the Mazzei is overkill for this. A simple DIY reactor or perhaps a homebrew venturi should be adequate. My tank won't be filled until February at the earliest so I've got plenty of time to play.

Thanks

Jim

7. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just thinking: since my NC522 has a 1" output and my tank return is 1.5" then at the 1" to 1.5" transition there will be a natural pressure reduction point where I might be able to put a venturi inlet. Perhaps a hole drilled for a 1/8" PVC barb might be sufficient if placed right at the transition point.

I've got a few barbs here from drip irrigation uses. I'll see how well they glue up. Good project for tonight.

Jim

8. inkslinger

Local Time:
  9. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    You might look here. The 473-210 might be what you're looking for.

10. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'll give it a try, thanks! I need to place an order there for flex pipe tomorrow anyway.

I'll post results.

Jim

11. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Jim,

My 2 cents is that a mazzei is overkill. I went to a DIY needlewheel powerhead and have not looked back..

Many ways to get c02 into the water.

Biggest issue is matching the c02 supply to the c02 DEMAND. That is where lower light will help a lot.

Let your filter filter. No need for it to do double duty. The c02 needlewheel will also supply extra current. Just need to hide it.

12. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm planning to use a 1x1/2x1 reducing tee on the canister output line and feed the 1/2 port into a DIY RG reactor. The tee1" out will feed via coupler into 1.5x3/4x1.5 PVC venturi. Reactor out will feed venturi injection port. Venturi 1.5 out will proceed to tank return. If this tests out I'll likely add any supplemental heater on this side path as well.

Venturi suction should be enough to power this siding.

1.5" venturi shouldn't present too much back pressure.

Jim

13. inkslinger

Local Time:
  14. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm going to start a thread documenting all my tank right after the first of the year including conceptual sketches, pix and results...good or bad.

Thanks

Jim

15. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    You'll need to factor the orifice in for back pressure. Also I found the transfer curve for a similar venturi T made by Lasco.

http://www.lascofittings.com/Products/venturi.asp

Hope the data helps.

Pat

16. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Great find Pat. Not sure how to interpret the graph right now. I'm sure there's lots of different ways to accomplish this. The venturi might work, might not. Fun to try things however!

Thanks

Jim

17. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I managed to dig through the site and get the drawings and better understand how these venturis are constructed. The main path is very constricted with a 7/16" orifice. I was thinking the orifice was where the inducted stream was presented, not the case. The 10- series on the same page has a 1/2" orifice which is still likely too constricted.

I spent some time chasing down where these are used and they appear to be designed for the pool, spa and hydromassage bath industry where the desired result is a lot of aggressive air bubbles mixed with a modest stream of water. I'm not sure these will work for my purpose.

Jim

18. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    The graph shows what vacuum the venturi will produce for a given flow rate through the orifice. It’s this vacuum that overcomes the back pressure of the spa jets being submerged. If you convert the in-hg to in-water you can see how deep a manufacturer could place the venturi’s and still draw air in the spa jets. Deeper and deeper means fewer and fewer bubbles till the thing shuts off.

Minimum flow for vacuum on the graph is ~8gpm (480gph).

FWIW
    Pat

19. Jim Miller

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks!

Jim