1? about flow and 1? on backgrounds

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
I got a 125 gal tank and got a Rena xp4 which I really like and have it pointed the lenght of the tank. It reaches a little over 2/3 of the tank, I have 2 drop checkers and both are green but the one end the plants don't move at all. Can anyone help with good flow patterns. The other question is about backgrounds as the tank doesn't have one yet and I've tried taping them on and they just aren't as colorful as they are when the tank is empty, is their a trick to get them to look right? I've spayed water on a tank and squeged it out and looked good except they air bubbles that I could never get out. Any opinions welcomed.

Thanks for any help
Lyle

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
Good Idea with the squigie! I just told the same thing to Gerry right before I saw this. I've heard that the guys that install window tint use soapy water to make sure it stick's and that there's no bubbles. Maybe try that. Another small power head in a back corner to fix the dead spot. I have a 120 gallon with 2 X Fluval 405's and I still would like a little more flow.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I get better water flow with my XP3 now that I no longer use the spray bar. It looks to me like spray bars are over rated. Also, as Creighton said, use a powerhead to augment the circulation.

Scott M.

Junior Poster
Mar 2, 2008
Sorry, I realize this post is a few days old.

A thin coat of vegetable oil works great for sticking on backgrounds. It won't evaporate over time like water can and it will always have the "wet" look.
Using a squegee is a good way to get started working the bubbles out. A credit card works well to get stubborn bubbles out.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can also use Acrylic latex paint, you can typically paint the back easy enough without much drip etc.

It's not that hard to remove later also.
Some tape and paper to prevent mess is about all it takes and a fan to dry it fast.

Make sure you do this then leave the house for a few and leave the windows open to prevent angry family members.

Regards,
Tom Barr